High Street, Baldock
High Street, Baldock
- Hertfordshire, SG7 6AS
This extremely fine, large red brick town house forms a very significant part of Baldock's Georgian townscape. Houses of this calibre do not often appear in the marketplace and this is a somewhat rare opportunity to purchase a very capacious early Georgian town house in this very atttractive Hertfordshire market town. Baldock, a short 40 minute train journy from London's Kings Cross, expanded during the 18th century, when the centre of the town was developed with grand red brick town mansions, many of which still form the unique, attractive character of the town today. Number 14A, known as 'The Manor House', has been described by Pevsner as the 'grandest' of the town's Georgian houses, with its six bay front over three storeys. During the later years of Victoria's era, or possibly the early years of the 20th century, when the Edwardians were so expertly recreating the best of England's Georgian architecture in their own inimitable style, a two-storey porch was sympathetically added to the front of the building, enhancing the attractive vertical flush bands of grey-blue brick with terracotta detailing. A rainwater head on the south-east side elevation is dated 1728. The location conveniently allows easy access to the local library, nursery and one of the top senior schools in the country, Knights Templar School. It is within walking distance to a 24 hr supermarket and within immediate reach of High St amenities. Baldock railway station is a 5 minute walk for regular services to London King's Cross and Cambridge. There is also easy access to the M1 and M11. Additionally, both Stansted and Luton airports are easily accessible.The outer shell of the 'Manor House' is purported to be in good order, but the advantage of this significant property is that the interior remains to be restored. An ideal project for anyone looking to buy into the world of Georgian conservation with a view restoring one of Baldock's finest houses. Viewing is very strongly recommended.
Formerly The Town hall and more recently operated as an hotel, the house has retained a wealth of original features including high ceilings, wood panelling, ornate fireplaces, orginal windows, as well as the very impressive early-18th century timber staircase in the centre of the house. A spacious basement in effect provides a fourth storey to this already spacious house.
Back to results...
- Property Type:
- Number of Bedrooms:
- Property Size:
- - 3550 square feet
- - 1082 square metres
Entrance Hall: 14'7'' x 18'3'' (4.5m x 5.6m) Front parlour/dining room : 20'5'' x 20'5'' (6.3m x 6.3m) Inner hall: 16'4'' x 15' (5.0m x 4.6m) Garden Room: 14'1'' x 16'4'' (4.3m x 5.0m)
Drawing Room: 14'27'' x 25'4'' (4.4m x 7.8m) First Floor Parlour/Bedroom: 13'45'' x 19'68'' (4.1m x 6.0m) Bedroom Four/Inner Landing: 8'5'' x 12'79'' (2.6m x 3.9m) Bedroom Five: 15'5'' x 14'7'' (4.8m x 4.5m)
Bedroom One: 13'45'' x 23'9'' (4.1m x 7.3m) Bedroom Two: 14'1'' x 20'17'' (4.3m x 6.2m) Bedroom Three: 13'45'' x 9'84'' (4.1m x 3.0m)